Friday, December 31, 2010

Coupons

Coupons can save you a lot of money, but they can cost you a lot of money too. Most of you would be surprised to know that I am not a big coupon user. I admire those who diligently seek out worthwhile coupons. With two small boys, I just can't find the time. There are some really great coupon sites available which can potentially save you plenty of money. However, to be a really effective coupon user, you need to put in about an hour a week of research. I have a few rules when using coupons. First, if this is not the brand I usually purchase, am I sure I am actually saving money? The brand you normally buy may be cheaper than the coupon brand even with the coupon. Second, if the coupon requires me to buy more than 1 item, am I positive I can use the other item before it expires? Be especially careful of this rule when using coupons for dairy products or beverages. Third, if the coupon requires me to purchase a brand that I would not normally purchase, am I willing to risk wasting the money if my family does not like it? Fourth, always remember that many coupons require you to purchase multiple items. Using a lot of these types of coupons may temporarily result in increased spending. Be sure that your budget has room for the temporary increase.
That being said, I do not want to discount the use of coupons for items that you normally use. As I always say, "A dollar saved is a dollar earned." If you find a coupon for an item you normally buy, use it! There are some really great coupon sites out there for people who get into coupon clipping. My favorite local site is www.moneysavingqueen.com, and the national site www.coupons.com. Checking the local ads online at Walgreens can also save you a lot of money. So clip those coupons, just keep the rules in mind. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment